Download Microsoft Edge for Ubuntu
Hello everyone, you can download Microsoft Edge for Ubuntu and experience one of the most promising browsers in recent memory and surprisingly, it is made from, Microsoft!? Well that was obvious, the name itself tells us all that but still, Microsoft isn’t known for giving the public a good browser, anyone remember Internet Explorer? Just that name alone makes me shiver.
Today we will highlight some reasons why we think you should go ahead and give edge on Linux a try. Like I mentioned before, this web browser is made by Microsoft but, it also uses the same Chromium engine that powers my current favorite browser, Chrome. Chromium is an open-source engine that is sponsored or I should say, geared by Google but a lot of other developers from all across the world chip in with their own code including Yandex and Microsoft themselves. THe good thing about Microsoft Edge is that it also allows you to install Chrome extensions just like you would on your Chrome. I have Edge installed on my Windows 10 laptop and my Ubuntu laptop, I’ll admit, I don’t use all the time, but at least a few times a week I open it up and browse random websites, I am just comfortable with Chrome as it is so I don’t really have any reason to currently switch to Microsoft Edge but because a lot of you have said Chrome uses too much memory, Edge might be a suitable replacement for you. Let me know what you think in the comments if you decide to try it.
What is Microsoft Edge?
Microsoft Edge is based on Chromium and was released on January 15, 2020. It is compatible with all supported versions of Windows, macOS, Android, iOS and Linux. With speed, performance, compatibility for websites and the ability to install Chrome extensions, plus built-in privacy and security features.
Microsoft Edge Features:
- Start browsing your way by importing your favorites, passwords, and more from other browsers, so you have everything you need in one place.
- With Microsoft Edge you can expect speed, performance, and compatibility with all your favorite sites and extensions.
- Compare prices across websites with just a click,find a lower price available on a different website.
- Whenever you shop in Microsoft Edge, you will find a list of available coupons so that you can easily apply them to your order.
- Password Monitor can notify you when it detects that your credentials have been compromised, so you can update them and keep your personal information safe.
- Microsoft Edge gives you more control over your data, and more transparency into which trackers are being blocked while you browse the web with tracking prevention.
- Microsoft Defender SmartScreen automatically protects you online from security issues.
How to Install Microsoft Edge on Ubuntu
How to install Edge using Command Line
Type or just copy the following commands into whatever terminal you use:
curl https://packages.microsoft.com/keys/microsoft.asc | gpg --dearmor > microsoft.gpg sudo install -o root -g root -m 644 microsoft.gpg /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/microsoft-edge-dev.list' sudo rm microsoft.gpg
After you do that, you have to run this command:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install microsoft-edge-dev
Microsoft Edge Screenshot
Microsoft Edge Installation Video
How to uninstall Edge using Command Line
If you want to remove Microsoft Edge from your Linux operating system, you simply have to type the following command:
sudo apt remove microsoft-edge-*